Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Spring Cleaning" in the Summer

I started doing some "Spring Cleaning" at work. I am looking into my cabinets and drawers and checking to see what is needed and what is not. What an undertaking. I found some interesting older Oracle/database related things:

  • A 1983 article that explains 5th Normal Form. It was ironic because just the other day I was talking with our team lead about application developers not knowing data normalization.
  • Copies of Oracle 7.2 Server manuals (I started with Oracle 5)
  • Oracle Forms (V4) training manuals (I started with Forms 2.0)
  • PL/SQL (Version 2.0) training manuals
  • Developer/2000 Forms 4.5 training manuals
  • Developer/2000 Oracle Graphics 2.5 Reference Manual
  • Oracle CDE2 Oracle Reports 2.5 manuals
Boy the days of getting the box sets of Oracle manuals is over. It is time to put these in the dumpster. The only thing that is useful now is the normalization document. I will still dump it because it is on the Internet.

Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Have you ever tried calling a report from forms and printing the output directly to the local printer attached to the PC? We do not know what to configure in the application server. Do we need the ORARRP utility even if our forms version is 10g already?
Thanks,
Carlos
cfcortez@gmail.com

Michael A. Rife said...

I have not attempted this, but doing a Google search of the Internet indicates that you can use the OraRRP utility or a Javabean. Take a look at: http://forms.pjc.bean.over-blog.com/article-6621538.html

Mike